Saturday, August 31, 2019

Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen

I started out thinking this would be a cute, quick, fun audiobook to listen to--an easy YA romance. It ended up having every single stupid romance trope that I hate all combined into one book. The main character had no personality (even at the end, she was talking about everyone's personality traits and said she couldn't think of what she had to contribute, but she'd figure it out). Her best friend had sex once and got pregnant (WORST STORYLINE EVER) from it. The friend refused to even consider other options but was determined to keep the baby without thinking about how it was going to change her life (nobody seemed too concerned about what she was going to do about childcare despite the fact that she was only 16 years old?). She also goes into labor AT PROM. The main character falls in love with a typical bad boy guy who also has no personality and is clearly a jerk, but she is convinced he loves her. The main character's mom is apparently a professional therapist for parents of teenagers, but is shocked when her own teenager stops telling her everything and starts arguing with her, like she has no idea how to handle it despite it being HER PROFESSIONAL FIELD.

I just hated this by the end, but I had to finish it, thinking there might be some redeeming twist. There was not. I don't know if I'll ever read another Sarah Dessen, although I really enjoyed the one of hers I listened to last year. But man, I don't know if she can come back from this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment