Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Unmarriageable: Pride and Prejudice in Pakistan by Sonia Kamal

I read every Jane Austen fan fiction rewrite that I come across, and many times am disappointed. This is one of those. I guess it lives up to its subtitle; this book was an exact attempt at a copy of P&P in a different setting. When people include every single small plot point from P&P in a rewrite, it starts to lose its enjoyment for me. The main thing that I liked about this book was the setting in Pakistan, and I did like seeing the similarities between Jane Austen's culture in Regency England and modern-day Pakistan (according to this one book and this one author). I thought some of the settings and descriptions were really beautiful, and it made me want to go visit Pakistan sometime. However, much of this writing wasn't very good. The conversations were really painful to read and didn't feel realistic at all. And the main character, Alys, was one of those kind of obnoxious overly strong female characters that does things just to be fierce instead of because they make sense. This was less enjoyable than I hoped.

No comments:

Post a Comment