Thursday, August 29, 2019

Save Me the Plums by Ruth Reichl

I really enjoyed this memoir of Ruth Reichl's. I've seen people talk about her writing many, many times, but I don't think I've ever read anything by her. This is her memoir of the time she spent as the editor-in-chief of Gourmet magazine before it got shut down in 2008, and it was a fascinating look into the world of magazines and the foodie world of New York in the 2000s. It sounds very glamorous and fancy, but Reichl's down-to-earth style comes through and saves the book from being annoying or snooty. She clearly was at odds with the elitist style of the magazine when she came in, and she brought it out of that world while she was the editor. Reichl's chops as a food writer come through in this book as well, in her occasional descriptions of cakes and chocolates and the very specific words she uses to describe foods. I thought it was beautiful how she could write about them and how much joy food brought her.

I really enjoyed this, and I think I will read another one of her memoirs sometime soon. I don't know that it will be a huge priority--I have so many other books on my nightstand right now--but someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment