Wednesday, May 20, 2020

A Jane Austen Education by William Deresiewicz

I don't know where this book recommendation came from, but I am a sucker for anything with Jane Austen in the title. This is not a rewrite or fan fiction, but the writing of a Jane Austen scholar analyzing what he learned from Jane Austen as he read her books and applied them to his life. I felt like he was appealingly honest about his own flaws and problems, and with how Jane Austen helped him to get over them--whether it was cockiness, loneliness, or indecision about what he should be doing with his life. I liked how he went over each of the books in turn and gave each one its fair due, and I felt like the lessons he gained from each one seemed believable and real. It did feel like it was getting  a little long at times... I could have been totally happy with the book being even half as long. But I always enjoy getting more out of my Jane Austen reading, so I didn't mind it too much (and it wasn't all that long to begin with).

No comments:

Post a Comment