Friday, May 29, 2020

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this audiobook. It was such a unique storyline, about Cassie, a female firefighter who is trying to integrate into a new, old-school male-only firehouse. I really enjoyed this different perspective and storyline... sometimes it feels like all contemporary fiction runs together and all of the romances are the same. All the girls are writers or working in an office somewhere, and they meet guys at work or at the gym or someplace... but this book was totally different. The environment of the firehouse was so different and fun, and the stories about what they did were fascinating. I'd never really pictured what working as a firefighter was like, and particularly what it was like being a female firefighter. Cassie was a really different narrator and she was dealing with her own abandonment issues from when her mom left her when she was a teenager, and it made her a really tough and hard person, and part of the story was how she began to thaw and change and become more open to love and new experiences. I loved Cassie as a character and was just rooting for her as she developed. I got so into the story that once the climax started happening, I had to borrow this as an e-book so I could read it super fast instead of listening to it more slowly as an audiobook. I had to know what happened RIGHT THEN and couldn't wait. This was VERY good and I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment