Wednesday, May 27, 2020

When Life Gives You Pears: The Healing Power of Family, Faith, and Funny People by Jeannie Gaffigan

I have liked Jim Gaffigan for years, and we went to his live show in the fall. And I've liked him even more as I've gotten to know about his wife and how the two of them are a writing team and how they do everything together, and how they canceled their successful TV show after realizing they couldn't both be doing that and be available to raise their kids. I think they both just seem like stand-up people (haha, get it?). In his show in the fall, Jim talked about his wife's brain tumor, and made a few jokes about it, and I'd read about it in the news back when it was happening as well. But this is a memoir that she wrote about her experience finding out that she had a massive, pear-shaped brain tumor in her brainstem, and then having to spend weeks and months recuperating after contracting pneumonia in the hospital. It was a fascinating story, and Jeannie is just as funny as her husband--she did a great job writing about her experiences without coming across as too depressing or sad, and being honest about it while still making you laugh. I thought it was a really fun book to listen to, and I came out of it liking her even more than her husband.

Also, this was the first audiobook I've listened to in months because with nursing, all of a sudden it's harder for me to read and I need something to be able to listen to while sitting there. This was a great book to get back into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment