Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Savvy by Ingrid Law

I have been meaning to read this book for years, but never gotten around to it. I read some super-amazing reviews of it a few years ago, and kept remembering it, because the premise sounded pretty great: every member of this family gets a special power on the day they turn 13, and Mississippi (or Mibs) is about to turn 13 and find out what her special power is. I thought that sounded really fun. But her dad gets in a car accident right before her birthday, and is in the hospital, so everything gets turned upside down, and she doesn't have any idea what is going to happen to her. After a few things that happen on her birthday morning, she decides that she thinks her power is waking things up, and realizes she has to get to the hospital to wake up her dad from his coma. So she, and her brothers and a few friends, stow away on a Bible salesman's bus to catch a ride to the hospital, and end up on this road trip adventure to get there. I really liked the beginning and LOVED the ending of the book (I may have cried), but some of the road trip adventures dragged for me in the middle. (I guess I don't love road trip stories.) But it was a great, great story and I think it would be a huge favorite for the middle-grade crowd. This is one I would like to have on our shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment