Monday, November 2, 2020

Don't Overthink It: Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-Guessing, and Bring More Joy to Your Life by Anne Bogel

Annie Dillard said, "How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives. What we do with this hour, and that one, is what we are doing." And Anne Bogel says that if we spend time stressing and overthinking, that is what we are doing with our lives. We should not be doing that. I really enjoyed this quick and thoughtful book about how to think more clearly and make quicker decisions. I felt like a few of her points seemed to really coincide with advice we are given in General Conference, in a secular way. 

A few things I loved from this book:

  • Your thoughts can be your enemy or your ally. Your thoughts are connected to your health and well-being, and paying attention to what you think about is key. 
  • Deciding what your major values are can help you with making decisions. Our values can also influence what we choose to keep before our minds (like books, issues, news, etc.).
  • "Our lives should reflect who we are and what we care about." "Our lives reflect what we persistently think about. Where we choose to place our attention directly affects the way we experience the world around us and the people we become... Your life is the creation of what you focus on--and what you don't." "It all depends what we choose to focus on."
I felt like this book gave me more motivation to live more true to myself and to not waste mental energy worrying or thinking about things that I shouldn't be. I'm glad I bought a copy to be able to revisit it because that's the sort of book I want to be motivated by again and again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment