Sunday, November 8, 2020

Crispin: The Cross of Lead by Avi

Another nursing Newbery read, and I liked this one way more than I expected to. When I started it and realized it was set in the Middle Ages and the main character was this peasant/serf boy, I really didn't want to read it. I guess I thought it might be like The Midwife's Apprentice, which wasn't my favorite book by any means. Plus, the Middle Ages is just a depressing time. But this book had a lot more adventure and excitement in it than I expected, and I found myself dreaming about it last night, so I definitely got more out of it than I thought I would. I wouldn't say I loved the characters--Crispin never seemed to have any personality--but I thought the plot was fun and exciting and I was able to understand a little more of medieval culture just from seeing how entrenched the religion was in these characters and the way things were for them, so it was worth the read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment