Sunday, November 1, 2020

These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I hadn't read this book out loud before to the kids because I was sure they would find it boring. It's Laura all grown up, teaching school and being courted by Almanzo--why would they care about that? But I was wrong--they LOVED this book and were excited for more. I think the stories about going on long buggy rides with the horses were fascinating to them. I personally loved reading about Laura's experiences teaching school. I loved being able to get those details and be able to picture what it was like for her, particularly because my great-grandma Emily Myres was a schoolteacher in Canada in very similar circumstances--maybe 40 years after Laura, but not much had changed. I loved that connection for the kids. This book ends with Laura being married, and I'm not planning to read The First Four Years with them. We're starting Farmer Boy instead, which we skipped when we were going through originally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment