Sunday, November 15, 2020

Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Reader's Guide by Grant Hardy

Austin tried to get me to read this so long ago and it sat on my bedside stand for way too long. I kept meaning to and not managing to get around to it--but once I did, I found it so interesting! I thought this book gave a whole different way to read the Book of Mormon, and gave me so many more insights into the three main narrators or writers of the Book of Mormon. Hardy analyzes what we can figure out about Nephi, Mormon, and Moroni, from what they include, what they leave out, and the way they write. A lot of what he discusses is pure speculation, but it's very interesting to consider and really helped me to imagine them as humans. He also provided a lot of deep textual analysis of important sections to help discuss the prophets, but I'll admit that I did skim a lot of those sections--I didn't have a ton of time to dedicate to this book and I wanted to be able to finish it. I feel like this was really worth the read, though, and I'll remember some of his insights for a while to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment