Thursday, November 5, 2020

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

I feel like this book would be a great read-aloud book with the boys, especially if you're trying to learn about American history. A good Fourth of July book, maybe. I read this because it was a Newbery winner, but I actually enjoyed it a bit more than I was expecting. I definitely got caught up in it, and I could see boys who had learned about Paul Revere and the Boston Tea Party in school being so excited about this book. There were a few things that dated it--a negative reference to black people really turned me off--but it was written in 1942. Otherwise, it stands up and is a great illustration of what life was like in Boston during the lead-up to the American Revolution. I felt like I was there, the details were so well-done and thorough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment