Saturday, January 25, 2020

Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I thought the premise behind this book, of being a fake documentary of a fake 70's rock band, sounded pretty interesting. I kept hearing about it and finally decided to check it out, and listened to it as an audiobook. I definitely think this was a great book to listen to instead of reading, because hearing all of the characters' voices was huge. I was eventually able to tell who was speaking just from their voices, and I thought the people they'd cast for each of the characters were great. Daisy Jones's voice in particular was really good, and it really made me feel more invested in the story hearing her say things like she was actually being interviewed. I really got caught up in the story, and it really felt like a believable story for a band. I would totally have been googling it and looking up if it was real if I hadn't already read reviews of people confirming that they had indeed done that and that it was fictional. I thought it was a really interesting portrayal of a specific time and place, LA in the 70's, without really glorifying drug use or addictions. I did really like the characters, particularly the three women and their strong opinions and voices, all in their own ways. And I liked how Billy and Camila believed in each other and how Billy kind of redeemed himself and turned his life around because of her, and the message that he kept choosing her even over other things he might have wanted more at that short time. But I didn't like the constant tension between Daisy and Billy and the wondering if they were going to eventually start sleeping together (I would have been so mad.. you know I hate infidelity/adultery stories). It was definitely a good book to listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment