Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley

I've heard about this book for years and just finally got around to it. I always love a good book about books, and this one did not disappoint. Plus, I love that this was written over 100 years ago, but it felt like it could have been much more modern (other than the horse-drawn carriage part of it all). It was a hilarious story about a woman who buys a traveling book van in order to stop her brother from buying it, because she is tired of him leaving her at home to run the farm while he goes off on adventures. She goes off on an adventure of her own, and starts to try and sell books, and ends up being surprised by what happens to her. I loved this cute little story--it was short; it only took me maybe two hours to read--and I am super happy to have read it.

This book really reminded me of The Bookshop on the Corner with Nina's traveling bookshop that she set up in her van in Scotland, although it was a totally different setting and time period. It just felt like both Helen (from this book) and Nina just seized this random opportunity to drive around selling books to people, and both were about how people just need to find the right book, and the importance of spreading literature to the masses and bringing books to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment