Thursday, January 16, 2020

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

I loved this book when I was a kid. Loved it so much. But I hadn't read it for at least two decades, and I didn't remember almost any of it, except the most basic of the story, that one girl helps to protect her Jewish friend during the Holocaust. I had totally forgotten that this was set in Denmark, which I love so much. I feel like I learned about Denmark's resistance movement much later in life and was really surprised by it, and didn't connect it to this book (which I was definitely familiar with). We have such huge connections to Denmark now, and I had never put this together. I love that this was the place where this inspiring story happened. I loved how the Annemarie learns how brave she is, and I love the message for kids. This one is definitely a keeper, and it was just as enjoyable to read as an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment