Tuesday, January 28, 2020

The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg

This book was an interesting one. I can't decide if I really liked it or just average liked it. The book is about an academic competition team from a middle school in New York, and about the four members of that team who start out with very different stories. You learn about the four students each on their own, and then see how they all come together in a way that teaches them all kindness for each other and for their teacher. I thought the message of the book was great--how they all became nicer than they had been because of each other. I don't know if I loved all of the individual chapters about each of the kids--they took a long time and felt very random as you were still figuring out how they all came together. It kind of felt like Konigsburg was just throwing together four random stories about these four random kids, with the connecting string of the academic competition in between each of the chapters to keep it going. I liked it, but I don't know that I would have loved it as a kid. And her From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler is clearly superior to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment