Thursday, January 16, 2020

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

I had no memory of what this story was about from when I read this when I was a kid. I hadn't thought of this book for years, honestly. But I read it today and was surprised when it took me like 25 minutes. Maybe even less. It was one of the shortest books I've ever read. I liked the story of Anna and Caleb, who were two lonely kids in their prairie home, whose father brings Sarah to their house to try her out as a stepmother for them. They love her from the beginning and spend the rest of the book longing and worrying that Sarah won't love them enough to stay. I thought that was the most poignant part of this book, how you could really feel Anna and Caleb's longing and loneliness, even with the most spare and basic prose of this book. It wasn't my favorite book I've ever read, but it was fine--especially since it was really so short.

No comments:

Post a Comment