Saturday, January 11, 2020

The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas

I read this for my book club meeting next week, and I kept putting it off because I really didn't want to read it. The name sounded kind of weird and I just kind of pictured it being a very "book clubby" book, one that felt like it was written just to be discussed by a group of women. And basically that's what it was, but it was also really enjoyable and a fun read. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would, mostly because I liked the main character, Queenie, and all of the women in their quilting club. I also felt totally absorbed in the setting of the book, Depression-era Kansas, and I loved how much the setting played a role in the story. It may have been a book clubby book, but I loved the Persian Pickle Club and the message of loyalty between these women, and I was surprised by the turn it took at the end where the book all of a sudden kind of becomes a murder mystery. I really wanted to know "whodunit" at the end, though, and you don't really know! I was definitely pleasantly surprised by this book and am glad I read it. Plus it only took me a few hours today, which is always a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment