Tuesday, January 7, 2020

The Gratitude Diaries by Janice Kaplan

This was another not-so-stellar read, but at least it was for my book club so there was a reason for me to have read it. I feel like this book was a not-so-good version of The Happiness Project, with less research and less specific things that the author did to increase her gratitude and improve her life. I felt like this was a very amorphous project--the author said she was "going to be more grateful" during the year, and she supposedly focused on gratitude in different aspects of her life each month, but it was hard to see what she was doing other than saying what she was grateful for. I liked how in The Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin had very specific goals and actions she was doing to improve her life, and she had very specific habits and ways of tracking those improvements. This just didn't have the same "oomph" behind it, and Kaplan had some annoying habits as a writer (like always incorporating her research interviews into her narrative--I kind of hate when they do that, like they just so happened to think of a question, call someone up and talk to them that day). I think this had a good point to it, I just didn't love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment