Thursday, January 16, 2020

Merci Suarez Changes Gears by Meg Medina

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this Newbery winner. I only read it because I was trapped at the children's museum for five hours with my kids (seriously!), and this was available as an e-book from the library and I read it while we were waiting. This book is about Merci Suarez, who's entering sixth grade and middle school, and she's dealing with all of the same issues that all middle schoolers do--mean kids, wanting things that everyone else has and you don't, worrying about people not liking her. But she's also worrying about her family and her grandpa, as he begins forgetting things and she doesn't understand what is doing on. I thought this book was incredibly well done--I loved Merci's matter-of-fact point of view and the way she loved her family. I was really moved and totally teared up as Merci learned that her beloved grandpa had Alzheimer's disease, and as she began to comprehend what that meant for her and for her family. It was so sad and so real. I really liked this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment