Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary

I really loved this book when I was a kid. I read it many, many times, but I didn't remember anything specific from it--just that it was about a boy and there was something to do with a divorce. I read it again today, and was pleasantly surprised to find that a) it is a SUPER fast read and would only take me like one hour and b) it holds up as a really well-done book, even though I am reading it as an adult. I am so impressed at how well Beverly Cleary helps you to see Leigh as a character and how you come to understand his emotions and why he feels the way he does, even with just the bare writing that Leigh is doing. I also really liked how Mr. Henshaw clearly took a little bit of time to get to know Leigh and to respond to his letters, and how he helped him to increase in confidence and become a better writer, just through a little bit of encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment